20 Jul 2022
WE ARE LOOKING FOR KITCHEN VOLUNTEERS IN ATHENS, GREECE
WHAT IS OUR PROJECT ABOUT:
Saffron Kitchen Project (SKP) supports displaced persons by creating opportunity and fostering community through food. We are a registered non-profit organisation that creates high quality, nutritious meals for vulnerable communities in Athens. Inspired by multiple cultures and traditions, we aim to do three things simultaneously: Nourish, Train, Employ.
Our first pillar - Nourish – entails providing people with warm, nutritious and inventive meals in a dignified and sustainable way. We partner with several organisations that support vulnerable people throughout Athens, distributing delicious meals whilst avoiding food waste as much as possible.
The second pillar – Train – offers free culinary education and vocational training in partnership with IEK Delta. In an effort to prepare our students for work in the hospitality industry, the programme comprises culinary skills as well as soft skills training such as teamwork, leadership and time management. Upon completion students will receive a recognised EOPEP certificate which will aid them in entering the job market.
Finally, the third pillar – Employ – demonstrates our commitment to tackling unemployment in Greece by not only employing but also generating job opportunities for people from the refugee community.
As we start our project, we are looking for passionate and committed volunteers to join our Kitchen!
- Assist the Chef with the preparation of meal ingredients (which includes washing, cleaning, peeling, cutting, and chopping fruit, vegetables, poultry, and meat)
- Sweep and mop the kitchen floors as well as wiping down kitchen
- Assist with the unloading of delivered food supplies
- Promptly transfer meal ingredients from storage areas to the kitchen as per the Chef’s
- Distribute meals in ANKAA center and to other organisations
- General admin
- Minimum age: 21
- Minimum time commitment: 4 weeks
- Previous experience kitchen work and/or food distribution, preferably in humanitarian settings
- Experience working with vulnerable communities
- Strong in written and spoken English
- Teamwork skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Fluency in Greek and other context relevant languages (e.g. Arabic/French/Kurdish/Farsi) are an advantage
Saffron Kitchen Project particularly welcomes applications from individuals with experience of migration and/or a refugee background.
We also welcome applications from currently under represented groups such as ethnic minorities and LGBTQ+ candidates
WHAT WE OFFER
- Letter of Recommendation at the end of your volunteering time upon evaluation
- Ongoing support and skills development throughout the volunteering experience
- A dynamic and multicultural environment
- Free lunch
Applications (cover letter and resume) can be directed to email@example.com
Please insert as the subject of your email: “Application: Kitchen Volunteer”.